Thursday, July 12, 2018

Prague

 
I purchased the Prague Card after assessing the value of what was to offer and the targets on my to-do list. This card was available for pick up at the airport and included the airport shuttle which would lead me to the train station. From there, I took the metro (also covered by my 2-day pass) to the nearest stop of my first stay, Sophie's Hostel. I always pay the upcharge for female only dorms when staying at hostels and here I met a sweet girl from Argentina who took me on a walk to Old Town.


Upon arrival, I was shook to discover that my eagerly anticipated astrological clock was removed for construction and replaced with this (albeit decently depicted) projection. I quickly recovered though because, duh, I'm in PRAGUE and renovation is to be expected on a still-working mechanical masterpiece originated in the 1400s.

Also, the mulled wine and traditional Trdelnik dessert helped.

The don't call it "The City of 100 Spires" for nothin'.

Don't forget to explore the market life. 
Day 2:
Many countries across Europe offer "Free Tours" organized by locals who work on a "Tips Only" basis; oftentimes, they'll even pick you up at your hostel. As I was only staying one night in Prague, I had to stow my luggage for a later pick up (always ensure that your hostel, or any venue for that matter, offers this availability) before joining the group. The tour helped me gather my bearings for the rather small city and following, I grabbed a potato snack before heading off on my own.

 
I made it Prague Castle by foot and boy, was the journey surreal. You can actually follow the Royal Route taken by Czech kings on their way to coronation in medieval times! Prague Castle and Golden Late were, too, covered with my Prague Card and they were more than worthy.




 
I returned across the Vltava River via the famous Charles Bridge but only after stopping at these noted sites in Lesser Town.

Gingerbread Museum

David Cerny Figures

Narrowest Street in the World

Charles Bridge
 
Back in Old Town, I headed to the Jewish Museum and Cemetery.

Franz Kafka

Stolpersteine

Jewish Quarters

With my Prague Card, I gained entry to the top of the astrological clock tower for views of the Old Town square and a tour of the cellar. Then I had my final Czech meal, picked up my luggage, and embarked via overnight train to Krakow, Poland.

Church of Our Lady before Tyn

Beef Goulash & Strawberry Cider








No comments:

Post a Comment